Full of Grace-n-blessings Fivefold

Doing my Best to Remember all the Blessings in my Life on a Daily Basis.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Craft Show gone Caput.

Have you ever worked diligently on something, putting forth more effort into it than other things that you do on a regular basis? You put thought, time, and effort into this thing eagerly anticipating the end result, only to have the end result be botched, or ruined? That is how I felt this weekend. I have been working during all my extra time (which isn't much mind you) on craft projects for my upcoming craft show. I was up till midnight on Saturday am, and back up by 6 am because of Samuel, and packing up so that I could get to the show by 7:30am to set up. The show lasted till 3pm and I sold one thing (and purchased one thing prior to knowing I wouldn't sell anything) I was completely in the deficit on this one. It makes one wonder if I have talent, or if I am purely fooling myself into thinking I do. My sister did better than I, but even she didn't sell many things, the things she sold were more costly so they added up better. We have another one coming up the first Saturday in December. If I do terrible at this one also, I am throwing in the towel. It will be my "sign" that I don't know the market and am not meant to do this. I'm not saying I won't make crafts in general, but I'm not going to continue socking money into a non-money making market.
On a positive note, the kids went with me, and did so well. The craft show was beside their old school, so they spent a good amount of time playing over there, the remainder of the time they spent doing things they had brought to do, such as skipbo and old maid. Samantha helped hold Samuel while we set up, and Wayne helped fellow crafters bring in their things (he was such a big help, one of the ladies came over and complimented him, and gave him a bookmark for helping) Samuel, who usually sleeps a total of about 4 hrs during the day, didn't even sleep one, but he was smiley, and pleasant the whole day. All the crafters were amazed at how well he did (I was a little amazed myself due to his lack of sleep) He had a rough time going to bed that night though because he was overtired, but once he was asleep, he was out.
On Sunday we went to church and had church supper afterwards. When we got home, Bob took Wayne out to sit with him for a few hours hunting for a deer (I was glad that they didn't shoot one, because I personally feel like Wayne is too young to see killing/ the cutting process in action) but Wayne did really good, and had fun using the "grunt" which sounds like a deer grunting. Samantha watched a movie and worked on spool knitting, one of many crafts she has but typically doesn't do. She figured it out though, and was having a great time! I took a nap with Samuel and then worked on picking up the house which was quite a mess.
Bob is off all week this week for hunting, hopefully he will get a deer. On Thanksgiving we are going to my folks house (Bob probably will meet us there after hunting all day) I am excited because I get to see my bro and sis-in-law who are coming down, and my grandparents who are coming down as well! I took off of work on Black Friday since Bob is off, and we are getting our family photos done for the first time since Samuel was just a prayer. I hope they turn out well.

5 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Yippee! I am so glad you guys will be coming to dinner on Thanksgiving! That will be mucho fun-o!
What do you think you will bring? I was looking through recipes to find some 'different' things this year to try...and I am thinking about a pumpkin-ice cream pie and a cinnamon apple salad and maybe a mixed veggie casserole? And Matt wants me to try to make creme puffs. We shall see...I don't even know what Mom needs at this point... ;-)

Tell Samantha I am proud of her for doing that knitting-but tell her not to get so good she is better than me! hehehe. Just kidding. Maybe she can finally teach US and get US on the ball, huh?!?!

BTW-I am going to try and steal that one picture...all mine are so dark you can't see anything. Blast that ancient digital camera!

I am hoping for a better show at the school too...and I am facing somewhat of an ultimatum there too. We'll just have to pray it goes well. Regardless of what you sell-don't think it has to do with your talent....your paintings are beautiful-truly.

:-)

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Full of Grace said...

I am happy we are going too, even though it is crazy busy, I love it when our whole family can get together, especially during holidays. I am going to bring regular stuffing, and homemade baked beans.
I will let Samantha know, it will make her feel proud that she is like her Aunt Rebecca!
You are more than welcome to take that photo and any others, I can even have it turned into a real one for you, if you'd like.
As for the show, what type of ultimatum do you have?(I was just wondering) Thanks for posting on my blog, and thanks for the vote of confidence- I needed it.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Oohhh! I would love it to have a real copy of it. I actually look nice for once! And the table looks very clear and light...I would love to have a hard copy.

My ultimatum is very much the same as yours...after that show-I am going to do a cost analysis. Add up how much I made-subtract how much I SPENT on the show, gas, and supplies and see how much real profit I get from it. I will not count my time, because the way I see it-it would be like a second income-and with any second income-you need to put in hours. SO...if I make a fair amount of profit and it seems worthwhile-I will continue on in the crafting biz. IF not-then it is not worth it to me to spend money for nothing. While I do love to make crafts, I will just have to do these things as gifts and not worry about mass production. We shall see! :-)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Abigail said...

I second Rebecca's comments about lack of sales not equalling lack of talent. You've obviously got talent, which is easy to see even in blog pictures!

It really is all just a matter of finding the right marketplace for your wares. I've seen items in big cities that are similar to what my mom makes. The difference? In the city, the items easily sell for 10 times what my mom charges, while my mom doesn't have much of a market even for those that she does sell!

If you can find the right marketplace, your work would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.

Well done; even though you weren't rewarded with money to cushion your pocket, here are some words to cushion your spirit.

(And here's to Bob bringing home some venison for the cold months!)

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Full of Grace said...

Thanks to you both- I will try and stay positively focused so that I won't go into our second show with a sour attitude! No deer so far, but hopefully he will get one this week- I'll tell you, it sure does save on money for meat at the grocery store!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home