Full of Grace-n-blessings Fivefold

Doing my Best to Remember all the Blessings in my Life on a Daily Basis.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Baby Shower Success!!!

Rebecca's baby shower was a success with only one or two hitches. Samantha and I (with Samuel's help) went to decorate the church on Friday night. My friend Michelle from church and her daughter Bethany (Samantha's age) also came to help set up. We worked on it till 9:30 pm and got pretty much everything done that we could. When I got home, I wasn't done because after I got Samuel settled down to sleep I still had the cake to decorate, and a few last minute items to finish. I went to bed at midnight!!!
The only hitches we had were both my camera's were low on batteries and I had no flash. I sent my sis in law out for batteries since Rebecca had asked me to take pictures of the shower for her. Once that was done, my good camera was in service. The only other hitch was that I asked Samantha to take photos with my digital for my blog, and the only photos I was able to get from my blog were the couple taken by me at the very beginning of the shower. She was so excited, she kept shaking the camera and the few she took were blurry (after the shower started, she was so busy having fun, snapping photos wasn't part of the fun, so she didn't take any at all after that) So I apologize for only having a few on my blog, but I am getting my regular film developed today, so Rebecca can have her shower pictures, and you will be able to see a slew of them on her blog in the next few days.
Rebecca's shower theme was nautical bear. The whole room was decorated with navy blue table coverings, and navy blue/bright red streamers and balloons. Each table had a brown bear with red, navy, and gold bows around their necks, some holding a red sailboat, others with blocks that spelled out BOY. Where there were empty spaces, I had gold star candleholders with red votives burning. Note to Self: Never have burning candles and teddy bears. One of the guests accidentally caught the hat of one of the bears on fire (thankfully teddy survived with no burns, we just threw away his hat!) I also brought a couple of my dolls wearing a couple of Samuel's nautical outfits, drew a poster with sailboats, teddy bears, starts and "ITS A BOY" on it, and set out a wooden sailboat puzzle to complete the decor. Mostly all the snacks were red, blue, and brown, and all the drinks were the same.
Rebecca came in and was so excited she couldn't figure out if it was a boy at first because of the red streamers, but it didn't take long for her to figure it out :) She was very excited!!!
We played a few games. Wayne was in charge of the baby egg game. He made sure all guests picked a baby egg out of a basket and kept their egg throughout the game. Towards the end, whoever had their egg (with no cracks of course) got a certificate saying they were an Eggcellent Mommy and an all around Good Egg! Ironically, my "baby" was one of the few to fall out of my pocket where he was safe, and had to be treated for multiple fractures and wounds. We played a baby name game where guests had to come up with boy names created from the letters MATTHEW AND REBECCA. Believe it or not, there are over 50 boy names that can be created! We also played a game similar to hot potato, except you had to pass diapers around. Whoever ended up with the "dirty"ones got a prize. All the guests decorated a baby onesie for baby "peanut". Rebecca picked her two faves. and the people who made the winning onesie got a prize. Samantha was one of them with a Noah's Ark onesie- Good Job Samantha! It was fun to see everyones creativity shining thru the fabric paint :)
Rebecca got some wonderful gifts for baby boy Newman :) All in all, I believe the shower was a success, and all who came had a good time!
My mom took Samantha and Wayne after the shower to stay overnight. Bob and I had our first date since our Anniversary in August! We walked around the mall, and had dinner and this great steakhouse called Texas Roadhouse. It is one of our favorite places when we do go out on a date to eat. We just had a wonderful evening together, and Samuel was good for us (until 4 am when all he wanted was his mama, and I had to climb into the twin bed in the nursery and hold him after multiple times of nursing him, laying him down, and him crying until I picked him up again!)
Sunday we went to church, but the rest of the day was fairly calm. It was naptime and try to catch up on the rest we needed from such a busy couple of days. This whole week school is out, so I have a very full house. On Wednesday our caseworker is coming to help us get recertified as foster parents. Hopefully that will go well! Today I am going to be calling to set up an appointment for us to get our taxes done- we really need to get it done and over with and so I am now going to be busy tallying up all my receipts (I have all the other stuff done now) Have a blessed week everyone! :}

5 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Carmichael Family said...

Sounds like the baby shower was a success! How fun! Your teddy bear/sailboat theme sounds so cute. And your date night sounds fun too. Have a great week.
Blessings,
Catherine

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Full of Grace said...

I think it turned out well, all in all! My sister said that if she was having a boy, she was thinking about going nautical for his part of the room (as of now he'll be sharing a room with his 2 1/2 yr old sissy) so I thought it would be fun to make the shower according to the way she would be decorating :)
Our date night was very nice. We woke up Sunday am and had a leisurely breakfast together, very peaceful. I truly enjoyed not having to say "Wayne, you need to do this, or Samantha what's taking you so long getting ready, or even it's time to walk the dogs guys, hustle it" But I know that I would miss it, if it was more than a day or two!!! :)

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Abigail said...

Great job, Elizabeth! I look forward to more pictures in the coming days (unless I'm in the middle of labor; in that case, I won't care a whit about blog pictures!).

I'm glad that you could wind down leisurely after such a packed week of preparation. A well-deserved rest.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger betsy said...

Elizabeth,
What a fun baby shower! I love the idea of a nautical theme! So cute. How exciting to be having a new nephew coming soon...when is the baby due?
God bless!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Full of Grace said...

Abbie,
On one hand, I hope you have time to enjoy more photos, on the other, I hope baby berry comes, since he/she is so comfy in his/her little "Woom" it may take some prompting. Have you thought about doing jumping jacks with Millie and Annika?? :) Just kidding!

Betsy,
My sister is due April 10th. April is a very busy month in our family. April 5th is my parent's anniversary, April 22nd is my mom and my husbands birthday, April 25th is Samuel's birthday, so my sister is hoping to go a little early so that baby Peanut as she affectionately calls her little one will have a March birthday instead. We have no one born in March so far, and Corynn, her daughter was born 3 weeks early if I remember correctly. However, that was because she was induced for Pre eclampsia which so far she has no threat of this pregnancy. I guess we will just have to wait and see! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home