Full of Grace-n-blessings Fivefold

Doing my Best to Remember all the Blessings in my Life on a Daily Basis.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

SAMANTHA

It has been brought to my attention that some people were offended by my last post, so I felt it important to clarify my thoughts and unfortunately "defend" myself since I only heard about their offense "through the grapevine" thus I was unable to clear things up with these people myself. I apologize for any misunderstandings my previous post caused, but I hope after this, people will be able to understand better what I meant.

First off, let me start by saying that Samantha IS a wonderful girl. She has many good character qualities and in most ways is a model daughter. She is kind and caring! She is helpful and for the most part VERY obedient! She lives to make people happy and love her! She has a wonderfully big heart! She loves children, and shows it with her own baby brother, and with other children in the family and church! She is beautiful and intelligent inside and out!

People got the impression that I think that Samantha is a bad daughter- THIS IS NOT TRUE! I'm sorry if it came across that way, but it wasn't my intent. Samantha is a good daughter and I Love Her Very Much! Her good qualities far outweigh the "bad". My intent was to point out that Samantha was struggling in school and I was struggling to be a good parent to her. I needed to treat her with love and patience, rather than "beating her up" about it. I needed to be a better parent to her.

People also thought that I was pointing a finger at Samantha's "SIN" and not including other people in the mix. THIS IS ALSO NOT TRUE! Not only bad people sin- EVERYONE does. Even the most wholesome, loving, seemingly perfect person sins.

" I GUESS THAT'S WHERE GOD'S FORGIVENESS COMES INTO PLAY. GOD GIVES US SO MUCH THAT WE DON'T DESERVE YET WE STILL SIN AGAINST HIM. HE FORGIVES US AND IS PATIENT WITH US EVEN WHEN WE STUMBLE. I GUESS I NEED TO REMEMBER THAT MYSELF SOMETIMES AND TREAT HER WITH LOVE AND PATIENCE WHILE SHE IS GOING THROUGH THIS TIME IN HER LIFE. ALL THE WHILE NOT ACCEPTING THE SIN BUT TRYING TO HELP HER OVERCOME HER OBSTACLES INSTEAD OF BEING ON HER BACK ABOUT IT. "

Note I used the words US and WE. I was not singling Samantha out at all. We all sin against GOD. Some sins might not seem like they are as large in degree as others, but it is still sin. The word may seem like a harsh choice but it the truth. Samantha's obstacle / "sin" is being honest about her work and doing it on time, instead of saying she doesn't have any and then the truth comes out later. That wasn't the point of what I wrote though, I just wanted to clarify. The POINT of this excerpt is that "I" need to be more loving and patient with Samantha, and not be on her back. I need to model my parenting after the way GOD treats me. I need to be a better parent to her! Oh, and also, if you go back and read I also wrote " SAMANTHA IS VERY EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO HERSHEYPARK-IT WILL BE A BLAST FOR HER, IT IS JUST MY OWN SELFISHNESS COMING THROUGH." Specifically, I am SINNING by being selfish.

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, HE is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 JOHN 1:8 -9 (from the bible)

Let me end this by just saying, once again, I love Samantha and was expressing the frustrations I was having, only a portion about her, most about me needing to treat her wih more love and patience. She is a wonderful daughter, and I am truly blessed to have her in my life! I apologize if it seemed as though I didn't recognize her good qualities- I do everyday, I just didn't say them this time. I also apologize if my previous blog intentions were misunderstood. I hope this sheds more light on what I meant, even if it came out "wrong".

 Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Parenting takes work as you already know...we all have areas that we need to grow in...NO ONE is perfect. All of us have shortcomings that we need to work on...children included. It is just disciplining ourselves to that end which can be trying! I hope you get all the answers for us so that when our children are Samanthas age we can glean from you:)

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Carmichael Family said...

I hope my comment on your previous post was not offensive, and if so I sincerely apologize, I only meant to encourage you and let you know I'd be praying for you during this time as you tried to figure out how best to work through things with Samantha. I never meant to imply she was a bad child at all, I know she is not, your children are all beautiful and so sweet, of course we all have our short comings and struggles in certain areas, but they give us a chance to grow. God's richest blessings on you and Samantha, and have a wonderful week.
Catherine

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Full of Grace said...

Oh No Catherine, this post had nothing to do with your comment! Your comment, as always was a blessing to me! We have been have serious computer glitches, which knocks me offline time and time again, so I have been unable to leave a comment for you, my biggest concern was addressing some people that truly had a problem with my post. So please don't worry :)

I hope that I will be able to figure things out Wendy, for myself and for future friends/parents of pre-teens :)

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Goodness! Here is where it is hard having a blog, I suppose. You can't be there, actually talking with people so they can get the whole picture.

I am sorry anyone got the wrong impression of your previous post, for I thought you expressed yourself perfectly. You were pointing the finger more to yourself than anyone else, which is a hard thing for people to do sometimes. People don't want to call attention to their sin, people would rather hide it.

I applaude you for wanting to be more godly in raising your children. A lot of parents don't give it much thought! Like Wendy said, parenting takes a lot of work. The fact that you are so serious about raising them right is awesome! :D

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

If I know anything, I know where this hub-bub came from and all I can say is, consider the source.

Nothing you said in your previous post degraded Samantha but even still, this post was a wonderful response to any and all concerns.

Samantha is a super-duper girl (and niece) and by saying that she needs help in an area does not diminish her goodness. Each and every one of us need help in areas. It is good for you to think about ways you can help her along in this process. You have a tremendous job-being Samantha's mother. And she loves you for it. She loves you so much-you can see it in the way she talks to you, acts toward you, and depends on you.

I have no advice for you regarding her since I am still in the wee years with mine, except this. Be honest with her. Matt and I feel that the best way to get OUT of the bad situation is to accept your part in the matter. Say, "We have failed you Samantha by letting this get this far and I am sorry. From now on, because we love you, we will be encouraging you in your schoolwork and in your character traits (like honesty) more fervently." Meaning: You won't be getting away with things ANY MORE! :-)

Seriously though, you do a good job and will continue to do a good job just like Samantha is a good girl and will continue to be a good girl. Every person, every relationship, every part of life has struggles and ease, happiness and sadness, peaks and valleys.

Stay strong and DON'T worry about what others think of you, especially when nothing constructive comes from them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home